- Size 13 (9mm) needles
- Smaller size double pointed needles for i-cord
- 1 large button
- Chunky yarn. I used Loops and Threads Cozy Wool in Goldenrod
- Cast on 27 stitches using the long tail cast on method
- Row 1: Slip 1 purl wise, knit 2, *purl 3, knit 3 to end of row
- Row 2: Slip 1 purl wise, purl 2, *knit 3, purl 3 to end of row
Continue these 2 rows, knitting you knits and purling your purls from row to row and remember to slip the first stitch purl wise of every row for a straight edge. Do this for a total of 5″ unstretched.
For the i-cord
- With your double pointed needles make a slip knot and then cast on 1 stitch for a total of 2 stitches
- Row 1: knit 2
- Row 2: flip your needle over and slide the work to the other end of the needle, knit 2
Continue row 1 and 2 until for approximately 3″ to fit a large button.
Weave in the ends on the mug cozy
Sew on the i-cord securely with the left over tails on the i-cord ends.